Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Snack Ideas To Send To School For The Valentines Day Party

     As we're all aware, Valentine's Day is close at hand.  This week the teachers sent home a note with each of my children telling us about it and thankfully they were asking that if we want to send a treat that we make it a healthy treat.   I'm so happy about that request, because it seems like there is literally candy around every corner since we've moved here.  If you go to the grocery store with your kids the cashier has a bucket of lollipops to let your child choose one from.  If you take your child with you to pay the electric bill, water bill, or bank they hand your child a lollipop as they hand you your receipt.  So I'm very happy that the teachers are trying to make the school activities more healthy.

This is my first time to have kids in public school, so I'm trying to figure this all out.  I've started trying to think of healthy treats that we can send. This is the list I've got so far.  I was going to just keep it to pen and paper, adding things as I thought of them, but then it occurred to me that I've got a (albeit small) following on my blog page now, and perhaps some of you have some great ideas you'd like to share.  If so, please leave a comment below.

1.)  Cuties/clementines - I don't know a child who doesn't love an "orange" they can peel themselves, and they are very healthy.
2.)  Apple - Sometimes you can find a bag of small apples.  The big ones might be too much, but a small one might be just right.
3.)  Heart shaped PB&J sandwiches - It'll take a little more effort but a good alternative where there are no children with peanut allergies.  Thankfully that's the case in my kids' school. But you could do any type of sandwich, really.  Grilled cheese is always a favorite among kids.
4.)  Heart shaped popcorn balls or rice crispy treat?  I've always considered rice crispy treats to be a "sweet" treat, but not popcorn balls.  Doesn't make sense does it?

The treat doesn't have to be edible:
1.)  Crayon? - I've got a heart shaped candy mold that I'm itching to use.  We also have an ice cream bucket half full of old broken crayons too.  I'm not sure if giving each child a rainbow colored heart crayon would be cool or not?
2.)  Stickers are usually a hit with kids.
3.) Heart shaped erasers or Valentine's themed pencils are pretty easy to find too.

So what do you do?  What tips can you share?  Any ideas of something else?  Please share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment