Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


      This is the first year that I've actually had my own canned vegetables from the garden.  When I was canning I quickly realized that there wasn't enough room in my kitchen for canned vegetables.  So Daniel cleared off a shelving unit in the basement.  Which is great.  However, we forgot all about them.  We only go in the basement to put a load of laundry in the washer and take a load out of the dryer and so we don't look around down there much, unless we run out of jam.  We've been making our own jam for a few years now, so when we need another jar it occurs to us that we need to check out the shelves in the basement.  And that's how I got inspired to make my own spaghetti sauce with meat and mushrooms.  We went down there and remembered we have a whole lot of canned tomatoes.  Ones that I won ribbons for at the county fair last year, and we need to eat them.   So I got creative in the kitchen, which almost never happens actually.  I'm one of those cooks that likes to follow a recipe to the letter, most of the time.  But I also had a package of mushrooms that needed to get used pretty much immediately and couldn't find a recipe that I had all the ingredients for.  So I made this sauce and we all loved it.  We even used left overs for English Muffin Pizzas for snacks over the next couple of days.  I hope you enjoy it.


1 lb of beef
1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
20 oz of chicken stock
1 quart of crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.  In a large saucepan cook the beef, mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  Once the meat is brown you need to drain it.

2.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Boil gently, uncovered for 20 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment