Thursday, March 11, 2010

Old Placemat Converts to New Dish Towel

As I was folding clothes, day before yesterday, I came across this place mat that had stains on it. I decided that I needed to either throw it away right then, or make it something useful, right then. So I cut a square off around the embroidery, and found a square of fabric that didn't have a stain, approximately 12 x 12 inches. I hemmed the edges, and used a satin stitch to put the embroidery back in a corner. Now I have a new dish washing towel to match 3 place mats that I own. Which is fine because for now there are only 3 of us that eat breakfast and lunch at home on a daily basis. By the time the 4Th one comes along we'll have stained those other place mats to the point of converting those to matching dish towels too. ☺
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Napkins

I finally made some napkins out of the fabric I used to make drapes for our kitchen, 4 years ago.

They look so good sitting in the napkin holder I bought at Betty Ann Garmon's Estate Sale a few weeks ago. Even if it has been glued back together with J.B. Weld. (It was broken within 20 minutes of me bringing it home.)

I made 10 napkins. 12x12. Two of the sides of this fabric roll up. I think they look nice. All are not cut to exact measurements.

I decided to embroider a letter "U" on them. Daniel said, "Are we those kind of people? So fancy that we have our napkins embroidered?"

I said, "I guess we are now."

"One of the benefits to having a wife that likes to sew. We get to be those kind of people without having to spend that kind of money." Daniel said.

The embroidery didn't turn out so hot. I keep having problems with the tension on my machine, and it's especially noticeable when I'm embroidering. I haven't used my machine a whole lot in the past few months, and the last time I had it serviced I remember mentioning the same problem. I'm gonna have to have it serviced again as soon as I can. It'll be nice if I can have the ability to take it back up there if it doesn't work properly. Perhaps I should test it before I leave the sewing center next time. That seems like a pretty simple thing to do.