Monday, August 24, 2015

A Dozen Years Already?

I can't believe it's been 12 years already since we got married.

It's been a lot of everything.  

I'm glad we are still together.

I'm having a great life.

I think everyone else here is too. 

Thank you Jesus for my family and our many blessings. 

We celebrated by going to Chattanooga and seeing Ruby Falls.  We had a picnic at Point PRk on top of Lookout Mountain.  Then we went swimming at our campsite.  We are staying in a sweet little cabin.  

We are about to grill burgers, roast s'mores on a campfire, and tomorrow we are going to the Tennessee Aquarium and moon pie general store.
Monday, June 22, 2015

Project Run and Play Top 10!

Lenore's bathing suit is in the running for a prize package at Project Run and Play.
Please vote for one.
Mine or someone else's.
I was so surprised and excited to see it already had votes this morning.
How exciting!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Bathing Suit for Baby

I just finished a bathing suit for this month's Project Run and Play challenge. I'm posting some photos, without my model because she is sleeping.  I'll do better tomorrow.  Please pardon me.
 (Updated with photos)

The challenge for this month was to take this Frozen Elsa dress pattern and make it or something inspired by it. DIY-Frozen-Elsa-Dress.-Make-your-own-Elsa-dress..super-easy-and-super-cute1-1024x782

We don't need any more Elsa costumes, but I was inspired to make a bathing suit for Lenore using the tutorial to make my top.
Notice I also made the top a sweetheart neckline.  I really wanted it to compliment the scalloped edged bottom.

I wanted sort of a racer back, because trying to put criss cross straps on a baby isn't fun.

But I didn't want the straps to just go over the shoulders, because if one slips off that's not good.

Lenore has already shown a strong desire for being in the water as much as possible.  Carolina was swimming at age 1, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lenore didn't swim her first year too.  She needs something that will not slip off the shoulders.

I wanted scalloped edges, and to make sure they didn't curl up overtime I lined my top with the same gray swimsuit fabric.

I am loving this feature.  The boy short bottoms are scalloped too.  Though they look more like pirate pants on her than the elegant scalloped shorts I had pictured in my mind.  Oh well.

Tomorrow we will get some pictures by the pool.  (After waiting all morning for it to stop raining, we decided pictures in the flower garden would have to do.)

  Thank you for taking time to check out my blog.  What have you been working on? 
Saturday, June 6, 2015

Cut off jean shorts!

I just made some cute cut off shorts for the girls.  I just took some jeans that had worn out knees and instead of tossing them as I was doing laundry today, I turned them into irresistible jean shorts. They are excited about wearing them after church tomorrow.
Thursday, May 21, 2015

Patriotic Baby

Poor Lenore, I feel like I've hardly sewn her anything.
My mom has recently brought a lot of clothes to the girls when she visits.
This is a blessing.
And it has helped me be able to sew something for Lenore instead of focusing on making summer clothes for Kai.  Lenore needs things because she doesn't have hand-me-downs to pull from.
We thought we were done having kids, and she has been a little surprise blessing.

By the way, have you any idea how hard it is to take pictures of a 6 month old modeling an outfit?
Most of the pictures turned out blurry.  The best pictures were taken AFTER my precious model spit-up on her new outfit.

I just finished it, and want to be sure to get it in by the deadline for Project Run and Play.
They said we have until May 22nd.  Since I'm not sure if they mean by midnight tonight or on the 22nd, Eastern Time Zone or some other,  I'm putting this post together quickly with the pictures I just took before putting her to bed for the night.
I guess I'm about to find out.

The project for this month was this cute little top by The Crafty Cupboard.

Isn't it sweet?
It wasn't sized for a 6 month old, but I was able to make it smaller with no problem.
I used cotton knit to make this outfit.
The first thing I did was make a wider skirt portion so it would be much fuller.
 I just love flutter sleeves, and decided to do two on each side, since I knew I'd be adding two ruffles around the whole thing.

My favorite feature just may be all the stars I sewed into the skirt of the dress.
It's called reverse applique.

I drew some stars onto the white knit, cut them out and then sewed it to the wrong side of my dress fabric.  Then I trimmed around my star shape on the back.  Finally, I cut out the dress fabric, inside the star shape on the front of the dress.  Voila!  Reverse applique!

My second favorite thing is the peek-a-boo back on the back of the dress with the ruffled bloomers showing through.

My third favorite thing is that it took 3 unwanted t-shirts to make this outfit.
My sister recently asked me if I wanted to go through a box of clothes she was taking to the local thrift store to donate.  I scored several new looking t-shirts her husband didn't want.  Love to upcycle!

I had a lot of fun making this outfit.  Whew!  It's getting more challenging to sew at this stage of her life.  She got her first two teeth this week AND started crawling in the past two days.  So I'm busy to say the least.  But it sure is fun to sweat over.  And now my sweet baby has a festive outfit to wear to this weekend's Memorial Day celebration.

One of the reasons I love participating in Project Run and Play is that it continually motivates me to push my creative envelope.  I can tell I've gotten better at the little details since stumbling across PRP.  I'm very thankful to get to be a part of sewing with all the ladies that participate with me.

I wish I had gotten my diaper bag finished in time.  You can read about it here if you want to see what I came up with.