Thursday, December 30, 2010
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Sunday, November 7, 2010
I had fun making some costumes this year.
First of all, Claire had taken a trip and spent some time in Amish country so she wanted an Amish costume. I told her what I had in the way of fabric and she worked out the rest.
I made her a bonnet and an apron. She loved her costume.
Day before Halloween came and we headed over to Walmart to let the kids pick something out. The kids had already picked out some costumes when I saw a Red Riding Hood costume and had an idea.
"Hey! How about Kai, you be Red Riding Hood & Delsin, you be the wolf...."
Daniel said, "I can be the lumber jack!"
"And I'll be Grandma!" I said.
But Delsin and Kai wanted to be their own things. (Wolverine and Cinderella) So, we went ahead and bought their store bought costumes and drove around the city looking for a wolf mask for Daniel. We decided to make him the wolf, me Red Ridding Hood, and Carolina Jane the basket of goodies. We didn't find any wolf items within budget, so we came home. I had a pattern for a lion costume I used with some grey fur fabric I had left over from the year we went as the three blind mice, and within 24 hours we had us a wolf costume, a Red Ridding Hood costume, and a Chocolate Eclair costume.
For the Wolf costume I used McCall's Costumes EASY TO SEW pattern. MP349.
For Carolina Jane's Chocolate Eclair costume I only used a pattern for the hat. McCall's M6103. It was way too big, so I had to add a piece of elastic to the back before we rushed out the door.
I didn't use a pattern at all for the dress. I just cut two long pieces of rectangle from some brown crushed velvet I had on hand. I sewed the sides leaving an opening large enough to comfortably get her arms through. Then I sewed the top on the left and right, leaving a hole large enough for her head to get through
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
I used McCall's M6103 for the gown, hat and booties. I left the sleeves long to cover her hands. The hat is too big, but we're just folding it up one time to make it fit better.
This past week I put the finishing touches on the above outfits for the kids.
I was so excited to have a new dress ready for Carolina Jane's first Sunday at church.
I was even more excited when I was able to make matching attire for Delsin & Kai.
Carolina also got 2 matching diapers and then a diaper cover for additional diapers needed.
I made her dress from New Look 6576
I made the girl's hair bows using this tutorial. For Carolina I glued hers to a headband I made with a piece of ribbon and a piece of elastic.
Kai's dress was from a pattern G.G. gave me. It was a pattern she used to make dresses for my mama when she was a little girl. The pattern is a size 2 and I was disappointed in myself for missing my opportunity to make it when Kai was a size 2. (I had put it away till she was big enough and forgotten about it.) So I had to make a few adjustments & it turned out alright, but is a little too big up top, for her comfort. I also made her matching bloomers. She loves how the dress flares out when she twirls. She had fallen down and gotten pouty when I told her, "When you're feeling down, just twirl around!" She got up and twirled around, and gasped with excitement. The rest of the day she showed every body (whether they looked at her or not) how her dress twirls around.
Pattern: ADVANCE 8627
Delsin got a matching vest. I thought he looked handsome as all get out, but I'm not sure how he felt about it. He seemed pretty eager to get it off. Asking me if he had to keep it on at church & taking it off in the truck. I wish his cowboy boots hadn't been too muddy to wear, because the ostrich would have matched this polka dotted fabric so well. They were similar colors too. I didn't use a pattern for his vest. I just traced around a vest he already had in his closet.
It's wicker and all I did was finish off a can of white spray paint we already had around the house. Then I used some white satin I had on hand to make her 2 sheets, bumper pad, & ruffles to go around the bassinet & stand. I'm so proud. Gosh, I just noticed, from the picture, I need to iron those things.
I didn't have to use a pattern. I basically just draped the fabric around and cut where needed, then hemmed it and sewed elastic all the way around one edge of each ruffle.
There she is in that cute little cap I made for her birthday.
Then yesterday morning I made her these pants from a halter top that mom had given me a while ago. It didn't fit me right, so rather than throw it away or give it to a thrift store I was so happy to be able to make her some really cute pants.
Today Kai asked me if I was going to make her wear them every day.
I used a New Look pattern 6310 as a guide. This is the pattern I used to make her pants from earlier, but they were too big. So this time I made a smaller pattern than what came in the package.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Monday, July 5, 2010
Monday, May 10, 2010
Edited to Add: