Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Outfits For The Girls

These were actually supposed to be fall outfits that they could have worn in October, but I'm just now getting them done.  In fact, I still need to make booties and a headband or hat for Carolina Jane's outfit, today.  I hope.  I'd love to make something for Delsin.  Oh!  A vest out of the crushed brown velvet, perhaps?    Wow!  I need to get moving.  Just a quick post. 

 I am so stinking terrible about taking before pictures!!! I really wish I wasn't.  The above dress was made from an old button up Maternity shirt from Old Navy.  I wore it when I was pregnant with all three of our children, but it only looked decently in style back in 2004.  Determined not to wear it again I knew the only way I could be sure was to get rid of it or make something new out of it.  Kai loves her new dress & pants outfit.  Here's some pattern information:  NEW LOOK 6664  (Can't find a link to it on their website.) The dress is item B, but without the bottom ruffle.  I was able to keep the bottom of the shirt hem in tact and the sides came together perfectly, so I kept that.  The pants are item E, except I shortened them.  For the flower appliques I used a cookie cutter that I keep in the kitchen.  I traced inside for one flower and I traced the outside of the cookie cutter for the other flower.  This makes them 2 different sizes and slightly different looking petals.  The whole outfit and fabric selections were inspired by Matilda Jane Clothing.  I really can't afford to buy her clothing for my girls, nor can I afford the expensive print fabric that she uses, but I can afford to buy small enough pieces to use for trim and appliques.  I think that helps to make outfits look more interesting on a budget. You can't see it, but there's a little applique of a brown beetle on her right shoulder.  I accidentally nicked the dress with my scissors & had to patch it up.  Oops. (giggle)

Carolina Jane's outfit was made using Butterick pattern 5001. 
Nana gave me this pattern.  She used it to make something for one or more of my sisters.
I made dress B, but with long sleeves instead of short sleeves.  Well, I must have done something wrong 'cause the sleeves were WAY too long.   So I measured and cut them off and hemmed and now they're 3/4 sleeves, by accident.  Should have just made the short sleeves I guess.  Oh well.
I didn't use any trim. 
It doesn't need it.
I did change the collar a little, taking out the pleat and adding her monogram. 
Fancy. (giggle)
I'm planning to make her some booties and a hat to match today.  If I get it done I'll post a picture and some pattern information on those things too.
I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving week.  Don't forget to count your blessings!


Post a Comment