Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Upcycled From a Sweater To a Scarf, tutorial.



The other day my mom calls me and says, "You didn't already get me a Christmas present did you?"  
She goes on to say that she would like it if I would make her a prewrapped scarf.  I had no clue what she was talking about, so I asked a panel of fellow crafy sewing friends if they had any idea.  They sent me a few links and this scarf was one of them  It looked real adorable on the blog page that I saw.  Here's the link to that one.
I thought that maybe my mom would like one of these.  I especially thought it when I saw that I had a blue sweater to use.  She has pretty blue eyes and I hoped that it would bring out her eyes. But now that it's made, my daughter has claimed it as hers.

Here's how you can make your own:
1.  Supplies:  1 unwanted sweater, buttons, thread and a sewing machine.
2. You need to cut a strip from the sweater.  Notice this sweater is a v-neck?  Therefore I need to cut my stip completely from the back of the sweater.  There is a stain on this sweater back.  Luckily it will not be visible when this project is completed.  I cut mine approximately 20 inches long by 11 inches wide.
3.  Next you need to fold the strip in half lengthwise with right sides together and stitch around the raw edges, making sure to leave the bottom of the sweater alone.  I used a zig zag stitch so that my fabric would have plenty of give and be able to stretch a little.
4.  After you sew it around, turn it right side out.
5.  Now you want to fold it like so.  So that the bottom part of the sweater material is crossed over the other end, with all the pretty sides up, and mark where your buttons will go.
6.  Sew those buttons into place through all the thickness, and voila!



0 comments:

Post a Comment