Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My First Quiche and First Coconut Cake!


     Family get-togethers, especially at the holidays, always remind me of my Granny Rader, and family get-togethers with Granny Rader always remind me of Granny's coconut cake.

     Since we missed Thanksgiving due to the flu I've been craving coconut cake.  I would have thought Granny's recipe would have been in the FCE's "Sweet Treats"cookbook that they sold in the last year or two, but it wasn't.  

     I don't know why I didn't just call her to get it.  I guess I wanted to try one in one of my books.  So, I settled on one in a cookbook that showcases blue ribbon winning recipes at state fairs.  I would get up and look to see what the name of it is, but this guy just showed up and started cuddling against my booty.  I can't bare to make him move just yet.

     The Quiche was a spinach quiche recipe from the red and white Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  The only difference is I used canned spinach instead of fresh.  This was one of those nights where I had no meat in the house, or fresh veggies, so I had to pull something together from what was in the pantry.  

     I loved it, but I know I'm the only one. Delsin made it very clear.  Kai scarfed it down fast, so she could get to the cake.  Carolina and Enoch asked to be spoon fed, but gagged on every second bite, and Daniel just told everyone that sometimes we have to eat things we don't like. It was funny, but everyone was respectful.  I'll try a different recipe in another year. :)

     The recipe I used for the cake was The All-New Blue Ribbon Cookbook, by Catherine Hanley, page 176 "Coconut Supream Cake". The only thing I didn't have was coconut flavoring, so I added a little shredded coconut to the cake batter (about a tablespoon).  Daniel loved it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment