Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Delsin's Reversible Coat



Finally!  I got Delsin's coat completely finished.
He had asked me a long time ago to make him a coat of many colors.  Then again late summer he mentioned it and picked out the fabric.  A canvas like fabric used for upholstery.  I started thinking of what to do for the thermal layer and lining when I had the idea to use purple Alpine fleece.  I knew that would be warm enough and I knew that I could make a nice "Yellow Jacket" coat out of it while I was at it.  He'd been wanting more articles of clothing with the school mascot on it and this was the best way I knew how to fulfill as many of his wishes.
Back in October you may remember me blogging about his "Yellow Jacket Tough" jacket?

 
I wanted to enter something into this week's Project Run and Play contest, and my time has become increasingly limited as Enoch is starting to stay awake for longer periods of time, we have started selling Girl Scout cookies, and Carolina is no longer taking 2 and sometimes not even 1 nap a day.  I did start work on an outfit that I'm going to finish for him for a PRP competition in a few weeks.  Sadly, I couldn't get that one done in time for the Friday 8AM deadline.  As I was coming to that realization I remembered my original intent when I decided to participate in the PRP weekly contests.....to make things that are on my to-do list.  Finishing this coat has been one of those things for a while, so instead fretting about a whole new project finishing this one would make more sense.  And I feel really great about it.

I took the fabrics that Delsin picked out and meshed them together.  First I half assembled pattern pieces for a coat together with one fabric, then I appliqued strips of the other fabric onto that.  Neither of these fabrics had a red that I was feeling good about, so I appliqued in order to get some of my favorite red thread in there.
It worked out better than I could have imagined.

I was hoping to get it done before he went to bed last night, but just couldn't find the time to work on it.  
So he asked me to wake him up when I finished it, so that he could see it.
I didn't have a problem with that, knowing I would rather have a picture of him wearing it to enter in the contest than one of it displayed on the floor.
One of my favorite details about this coat is the buttons on the front of the Coat of Many Colors side.  
He picked those out and has wanted me to incorporate those into something for him for a long time.  
I would have done a tutorial or sew along (I don't know what you call it when you use someone else's pattern and show your own steps.), but I was so tired and trying to figure it out as I went along too.  That's some of the most exciting fashion, when you're figuring it out as you go.
He asked me to wait till he got to wear it to school and show it to everyone before I entered it into the contest.  He thought he'd have to part with it for some time.  So sweet.
I'm so glad to have the opportunities to sew for such a sweet child that loves my creations so much.  
It really warms my heart.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun coat! Love that it's reversible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yeah, he switches it up every few days. And he loves that it matches anything he wants to wear. Today was a special day at school where they were wearing red shirts to show support for a local charity organization. He was thrilled when he realized that he could wear this coat and it'd still go with his outfit. lol. He's so funny.

    ReplyDelete