Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Girl

My Girl PRP 1
Sewing for the Project Run and Play challenge, this week was called "Let's Go To The Movies".
 My Girl PRP 13
(Smitty's Girl)
The idea was to either make an outfit seen in a movie or inspired by one.
My Girl PRP 2
I chose to use My Girl as my movie of inspiration.  
Kai has been wanting some shorts that she could wear to school, so they needed to touch her knee.
This was another great opportunity to make something that she already wanted while competing in the Project Run and Play challenge.
My Girl PRP 6
The outfit that I was inspired by was the peasant top and knee length jean shorts outfit worn in the movie.

I didn't want to duplicate the one in the movie, but put my own style on it.

My Girl PRP 8
I started with the peasant top.  This is the same pattern that I drafted when I made Kai the circle skirt outfit the first weekly challenge.  I used a cotton that I got from IKEA to make the shirt.
I put elastic in the sleeves and waist as well as the neckline, to give it the bubble/puffy effect.
Then I took two other cotton prints that I had in my fabric stash to make ruffles going down the center of the top.  The moss striped fabric was fabric that I used to make curtains and seat covers for a camper I fixed up to keep at hunting camp. (15 years ago!)  I think I probably bought that fabric either at Wal-mart or Hancock fabrics way back then.  The pink flowery fabric was purchased, probably at Wal-mart when they got rid of their fabric department a few years ago.  I bought several things there for really great prices.
My Girl PRP 7

For the pants I took a pair of old jeans that I already had.  
Using a pair of Kai's pants to make a pattern for these jeans.
I used the same cotton for the ruffles on the pants, but switched them around.  
So the green stripes were on the outside on the top and on the inside on the shorts.
My Girl PRP 9
My Girl PRP 10
On the back of the pants I did make back pockets out of denim, but I covered the denim in the same cotton print that was used to make the shirt bodice.  For one pocket I used an image on the fabric as the focal point and on the other pocket I appliqued a rose image leaving the top open so that it's a little bonus pocket and  framed it in bias made from the same printed fabric.
My Girl PRP 11
I also made the hair bow out of white grosgrain ribbon.
My Girl PRP 3
 My Girl PRP 4
My Girl PRP 5

My Girl PRP 12

0 comments:

Post a Comment