Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Learning how to crochet again ❤️




Years ago, when I was like 8 years old, Granny Eileen (my mother’s mother) taught me how to crochet and knit.  I only learned how to crochet a chain in the short vacation time she was visiting.  I lost interest and thankfully never lost my hook that she gave me.  Kai did that when she learned how to crochet, via Aunt Mandy.  The knitting was a much bigger hit, with me, but I eventually broke my needles and forgot how to knit before I finished making anything.  

Recently Carolina’s best friend taught her how to make a chain.  She, in turn, taught Enoch, and we’ve all received several Friendship bracelets as a result.  Sadly, all of mine have fallen off and gotten lost.  Maybe I can get a picture of someone else’s tomorrow. 

I have been happy to watch them with nostalgia, and a little longing to carry on the family tradition of crocheting.  In addition to Granny Eileen,  her mother in law Marie crocheted.  Marie made dainty things like doilies and table runners.  I have several of her pieces, sadly most of them are damaged.  
They came to me in such shape.  Granny kept them, I believe with plans to repair them.  She also kept Marie’s tiny crochet hooks.  Hopefully, we’ll be able to make those repairs one day.  I received these pieces when Granny passed away, from my Aunt Sarah, thankfully. 


This is one of Marie’s doilies, in great shape.

When I went to the drawer to get the doily I came across this coffee koozie that I had completely forgotten about. My good friend Julie Thomas held a crochet meeting at the church and taught us all how to make these, and I believe I actually made a post on this blog page about it!  LOL!  I put a link if you click on coffee koozie, above.




Ok, back to what’s going on now:
Our local library, Fred A. Vaught library of Hartsville, Tn, has started up a crochet club.
The kids wanted to go to it.  They met last night.  They have been meeting for a while now.  And I had forgotten, but now I remember that Kai wanted to go back when I first started meeting.  But, just like then, they do not allow kids to come to these meetings. Kids can come to the library and hang out in the kids area, but this was one of the few events that they wanted to try to reserve just for adults. I cannot say that I blame them at all.  I did say that they would be excited to start a kids crochet club if I can get other kids interested in it. So, I need to talk to my friends.

I didn’t wanna leave though. My favorite skirt was made by my Granny Eileen. 

This is the skirt Granny made.

Recently, I saw this dress when I was looking through my Elle fashion magazine.
It says it’s from My Beachy Side.  They must be sold out, because I can’t find it on their site.  
Enoch declared that he would make it for me! Sweet boy of mine.  So, thankfully a good friend at the Crochet Club showed me how to make a Granny Square.  And that’s what I am working on learning now.  I know mine looks rough at the beginning (the center), but I am proud.  I hope to show the kids how tomorrow.  And I guess that means I will be buying some yarn in the next few days.  This granny square will become a Christmas trivet.  We need several as it is.  

What are some of your favorite crocheted items?
Do you crochet?  If so, what are some of your favorite projects?


0 comments:

Post a Comment