Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Her Dedication Dress

Daniel called me from work last Friday afternoon.  "Debbie from Sunday school has called me and asked if we are going to participate in the dedication service Sunday morning, for Carolina Jane.  Do we want to do that?"

"I don't know.  What do you think?  I mean, we're already dedicated to raising her up to dedicate her life to Jesus Christ.  The ceremony is really just a public show.  I don't care if we do it or not.  We would have to buy her a dress."  I responded.

"We can go get her a dress tomorrow.  I don't want you to make it.  You stress me out when you don't have a lot of time to get a project like this done."

"Fine."
We spent the whole Saturday looking for dresses at various stores around this town and the next.  Finally, I said, "I don't see a single white dress anywhere.  I know I have some white fabric at home.  Let me just make it.  Please?"
Daniel agreed.  There wasn't much of anything to choose from.  The stores had been cleaned out from Christmas and hadn't gotten anymore shipments in, due to the dreadful 5 inches of snow we got the week before.  It was still very thick and slippery all over town.

So, at approximately 9 PM I got started on her dedication dress and worked through the night.  I went to bed at around 6 AM and got up for church two hours later.
I just used the same pattern I've been using for the past three months.


Dress A was the dress of choice.  I added 9 inches to the bottom of the pattern so that it would be a long dress instead of the shorter ones I had been making. 
I was almost crazy enough to attempt to convert it to a smocking pattern and attempt smocking for the very first time in my life.  Thank you God for whispering in my ear that it might not be the best idea.  I'm ordering a smocking pattern right now, for her Easter dress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment