Friday, September 26, 2014

Carolina's and Kai's Nightgowns

Last year spring (April 23rd 2013 to be exact) the girls wanted some new night gowns, and they wanted to use this neat ruffle fabric I had in my stash.
So we went to the thrift store and picked up some tank tops they could use to make their gowns with.
This way they could do a lot of the project too, with or without my help, and it wouldn't be too time consuming for them to stay focused.

They did a great job.
I did most of Carolina's gown, but she helped cut fabric and strings, and guide it through the machine.
Kai decided, after she finished, that she wanted hers to be long like Carolina's. 
So she added more fabric to the bottom.  
That is why she has a little hiccup in her ruffles.
It was a lot of fun and I'm so proud of them.

Basically, what we did was just cut off the bottom of the tank tops and sew the ruffle fabric on in place of it.
Very simple and very easy.
Friday, September 19, 2014

Hey Mom! Remember that dress you gave me last summer?

The one that I wore from the hotel to vacation bible school and told you it ripped up the front seam while we were standing and sitting repeatedly during worship service?
Well, look what I did with it...

This week's Project Run and Play is called the 
"Hand Me Down" makeover.
The idea is that you make something new and modern from something old or upcycled.
I kept this dress that my mom had given me last summer, even though it ripped at the seams the first time I wore it, TO CHURCH no less!  Boy was I a funny sight trying to get all 4 of my children and get out of there without anybody noticing my dress ripped in the front above the knees.

I thought this fabric was too interesting to just throw away.
Then again, I think that about most things.
I couldn't decide if I wanted to use this project for this week's challenge or next week's denim challenge.  I think I'll just use it this week and maybe not have anything to enter next week.
I'm hoping to make a Barbie doll dress for one of Kai's friends by Sunday, and some new gowns for the baby after that.  Well see what happens.

The apron is also upcycled from a fitted bed sheet.  I really had fun with this challenge.  

I also made a petti coat out of tulle and elastic.
Carolina absolutely loves it! 
She wants to cook something wearing it. 
Ha!  I'm like, "NOOOO!"
She reminds me of Lucille Ball in it.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Kai's Sparrows of Fall dress

Let me start off by saying Project Run and Play is starting another season up.  I know I've had too much on my plate in recent seasons to be able to participate, but I decided to try to play along this season.

The first challenge is to make an outfit inspired by a 80's cartoon character.
I took my inspiration from Daphne on Scooby Doo.


I wanted to make something long sleeve that Kai could easily wear in the coming Fall season.
So this seemed like a nice silhouette. 

Naturally, I needed to lengthen it to make it more appropriate for my little girl.
She decided she would rather have 3/4 sleeves, and we both had an "A-Ha!" moment when we saw the brown eyelet fabric in my fabric stash.  
So, instead of making a sash or neckercheif we opted for cutting eyelet trim to go around the sleeves and hem.  To be honest, it wasn't easy cutting it into a trim, but I'm very pleased with the end result.

I used the same brown eyelet fabric to make a headband.  I lined the headband with velveteen ribbon to keep it from slipping.

Then I made the fabric flower into a hair clip so it could be a barrette or an accessory to the headband, depending on her mood.

This is the tutorial I used for the dress.
 This is the tutorial I used for the headband.
I found it over at That Girl That Quilt.
This is the tutorial I used for the fabric flower.
I found it over at Go Make Me.

Thank you for checking out my blog page.

Some cute Petti Rompers for Carolina

I can't believe it's been 2  years since I took these pictures of Carolina.
She still wears these outfits, but they are probably too small. 
I want to get some new pictures of them though, because I embelished them with fabric flowers and bows.  But in case I don't get around to it, here is all I have now.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Ruffle Bottomed Sun Suit

I can't believe I never posted this before.  
At least I can't find it anyway.

Our computer crashed earlier this year, so I don't have any photos of Carolina wearing it.
Not that I can think of anyway.

Here is the back.

I did find one picture of her wearing it.
This was taken at the Tennessee State Fair last summer.
She was learning how to weave and this nice lady was letting her and Kai practice by helping her with a project she had started.

This is actually a different garment than the one pictured by it's self.  
But it was really cute on her.
Friday, September 5, 2014

Hairbow Picture Frame

Daniel and I were just discussing how much we enjoyed working on this project together.
I've been wanting a cuter way to organize the girl's hair bows.  I saw this on Pinterest and decided to give it a whirl.  I did make some adjustments based on what would work best for our family's needs.  I'm going to need another one soon.

I got the frame at a yard sale just up the street a few weeks ago.

I found this large frame with no glass.  
Perfect!  I didn't want any glass anyway.
I think I paid $2.00 for it, maybe...

I took some photos along the way, but they must be in a different camera.
I dug around in the basement and found a mostly used can of "Ballet Slipper Pink" spray paint.
I bought and used that paint when I painted Delsin's first bicycle pink and Santa gave it to Kai for Christmas.  We also painted 11 screw hooks too.
While Daniel was painting, I covered the back piece of cardboard in this pretty Amy Butler fabric.
Then I chose which color ribbons to use and made three of them loopy so they could hold headbands.
Next we hung it on the wall and loaded it up!
We're lovin' it!